20071002

My bosses bosses boss

Having lunch with my old workmates, they're talking about work. Telling me how the projects are going. Who's working on what. How the company has fucked them recently. It used to be our big joke, how the company fucked us on a regular basis. Things like how they were planning to take away our chairs to cut costs, which made sense because we spent most of our time bent over our desks anyways.

They're my old workmates, of course, because I quit my job years ago. They were the technical writers that I had to design the online help file for. The way it worked was, I would come up with elements that would make the help file easier to use and more functional, based off of my knowledge of computers and usability, and my boss, a technical writer, my bosses boss, a hardcore programmer, and my bosses bosses boss, a marketer, would veto many of my proposals and force me to implement changes that they wanted, based off of their knowledge of "that's what I like".

Naturally, since they were paying me and it was a help file for their software, I did what they wanted. I put hidden links on the page that could only be found when people randomly moved the cursor around the screen. I made links invisible to the eight percent of their client base who are colour blind. I put main menu drop down boxes that were accessed by hovering over the name of the product, rather than, say, the words Main Menu.

Afterwards, the conversation moved onto them making fun of me for enjoying independent films and music. Calling me a snob. When they asked me if I'd seen the big summer blockbuster, I had to say no. No, I hadn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home