20070715

Nothing got filled in at all

When I first started school, my parents bought this big blue book called School Day Treasures. For each year, there was a pouch that could hold mementos, report cards, merit badges. The book had enough pouches to account for every possible year of education from kindergarten to post-graduate work.

On the front of each pouch there was room to affix a class photo, and on the back there would be spaces to fill in information about the year that was. Activities participated in. New friends. Special events. The only one I ever filled in was the section called When I Grow Up I Want To Be. In kindergarten I wanted to be, when I grew up, a TV Star. Same with the next year. The year after that a popular film was released starring an archaeologist who travelled the world and fought the Nazis, that year, when I grew up, I wanted to be an Archaeologist. The next year it was Policeman. The next, Detective. After that, Spy. In the later years, nothing got filled in at all, not even the When I Grow Up I Want To Be section.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home