20140813

Vino

This bottle is almost finished. The hostel doesn't have wine glasses, so I'm drinking from a regular cup. It's my third bottle in Perú, drinking solely Peruano wine.

As I told my brother, I'm drinking Peruano wine so that you don't have to.

The first bottle was a red. The cheapest I could find that had a date on it. I simply don't trust wines that can't tell me what year the grapes were cultivated. The varietal was new to me, but it seemed to be the most common one listed in the bottles in the shop (borgoña, which, translated, is a wine region in France).

It tasted like a cocktail. Like a fruity drink. Enormously sweet. In the colder regions of the country, this is their varietal of choice to serve heated.

The second was a slightly more expensive bottle. With a varietal I recognized. A cabernet sauvignon, the easiest red to grow. It tasted like a cross between pears and a well used jock strap. Interesting.

Figuring that maybe their climate isn't the best for reds, like ours, I went for a white for my third bottle. And, wanting to give them their best shot, I paid a bit more. A bit more is relative of course. Wine here isn't cheap. This isn't Argentina. Their prices are just slightly lower than Montréal. If we pay nine for the cheapest bottles, they pay seven.

This bottle is acceptable. It's simple, not complex. Not particularly fruity. More on the flowery herbic side.

But if I paid this price in Montréal, I would be very disappointed.

I look forward to my next peruano bottle.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Interesting. I can't say that I could even attempt to describe the taste of a jock strap, let alone a well used one.

15.8.14  

Post a Comment

<< Home