20080530

Looked

Stopped at the light, I turn around and look behind me; she's caught up again. I ask her if she's ok. She gives a drawn out hesitant yes, "yeeesssss," followed by a but and a twist of her leg so that I can see the long red line running up her calf; little droplets of blood peeping out from the cut.

A few blocks back, I had just passed a guy weaving erratically back and forth out of his bike lane. When I crossed the street I heard behind me a screached, "yiiiiii," and the crash of spokes, metal, and bodies hitting the ground. Pressed the brakes, pulled over to the side and looked back: two bikes and two bodies on the bike path. I stood there watching while they both got up, the girl who had been behind me for quite some time, keeping pace with me, she was clutching and massaging her leg. I looked forward again, put my foot on the pedal, hesitated, and then continued on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home